Last Friday I was talking to Rich and mentioned that it would be fun to pack up and go to Moab for the weekend. I should know better than to say anything in front of Piper because when she heard that it was all over. Our five year old simply had to go because she had never been. Ho deprived. So by 1:00 pm the next day, the mini-van was packed and we were on our way.
The trip down went relatively smooth. Fortunately for us, Micah slept all but an hour of the drive. Thayne slept a little and watched movies the rest of the time. It was Piper who asked every 5 seconds, "when are we getting to Chicago?" Now for a little girl who has an incredible memory, she can't remember that Moab isn't Chicago and that St. George isn't New York. However, I am quite glad she is so easy to please. We could say we were going to France and take her to Idaho. She wouldn't know the difference.
We pulled into Moab and I remembered why I love it so much. The temperature was over 70 degrees and the sun was setting over the red rocks. I was so happy to be there. However, we walked into the motel and of course, it looked nothing like it did on the Internet. Piper was so excited to swim but the pool was gross, green and full of chlorine. The boys and I wouldn't step foot in it. I am just glad Rich is a trooper and would swim with Piper. We decided this wouldn't do and that tomorrow we would switch hotels and go to the only other hotel with an open and supposedly heated pool.
On Sunday we woke up and we were off for a hike. We made it into arches and the kids were amazed. We had decided to hike to Delicate Arch. We didn't think it would be too bad. We could carry Mic ah in the backpack and help Thayne and Piper. Driving into the park, I was reading the map. It said it should take 3 hours to hike 3.5 miles to the arch. I laughed and said, "who takes 3 hours to hike that short of a distance?" Apparently, they were talking about us. We got started and the weather changed from the 70's the day before to the 30's. Micah wanted nothing to do with the backpack and I was determined to make it to the top and have fun doing it. Well we did make it. Stubborn Micah had to hike most of the way. Kick back Thayne wanted to be carried and Piper wanted to prove how tough she was and she was. 
At the top it was cold and windy. We spent enough time to see the arch, take some pictures and scramble on some rocks and then we were out of there. Rich forced Micah into the backpack, threw Thayne on his shoulders and bailed. Piper and I hung back and Piper decided it was a great time to discuss the world.
We did finally make it back to the car. Within minutes Micah was asleep in the car and Thayne and Piper down 2 peanut butter sandwiches. We drove around Arches and then headed to the hotel.
The new hotel was much nicer but the pool clearly wasn't heated. It didn't stop Piper and of course once again, Rich was a trooper and swam with her. We got some dinner and called it a night.
So Sunday was interesting but Monday was beautiful. It was still cold but we were off again to Arches for more hiking. Piper couldn't climb enough rocks. She is gutsy and fearless and that made me nervous. We had a few lessons in climbing and any place she could climb, she would. She earned the name, desert rat.
Are final hike was to Landscape Arch. Once again little Micah had to walk and he did. He hike almost the full two miles. Thayne was up and down and Piper, well she hit her breaking point. She had a fit like I have never seen from her. It was understandable, they worked hard and played hard and I think they all were exhausted.
It was time to go home. Piper actually only asked a handful of times when we'd be home. Thayne slept almost the whole way and Micah did well considering he got home and threw up for the next three hours.
All in all it was fun and spontaneous and just what we needed. Rich made the comment that it probably wasn't like the old days of high school and college down in the desert but to be honest it was better. It was harder but better. I am grateful that Piper inherited spontaneity and hope she keeps us moving.
1 comment:
The quick trips are the ones that make memories. It is so much to experience these moments with our children. Truly it is amazing what fun they have being in nature and hotel pools. Sorry your kids are sick. Hope they all feel better soon.
Post a Comment